Friday, December 26, 2014

As You Wish by Cary Elwes

As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess BrideAs You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I'm sure I'd been to the movie theater before I was 11 years old, but my first movie memory is of my parents taking me to the old Hollywood Theater (built in 1936) in our small town to see The Princess Bride. It was a first love in many different ways. My first favorite film (still is my favorite), a favorite story (I sought out and read the book a few years later), a first crush (seriously, Wesley, what's not to crush over), my first touch of jealousy (I was a tomboy but still would have killed to be Buttercup)....The Princess Bride was my first "twue wuv." I heard about this book and I couldn't wait to read it. It was really heartwarming to read about a movie that so many people have grown attached to from the point of view of Elwes. He is such a key component it's hard to imagine the movie without him, so it's fascinating to read about his insecurity and worries about the role and his ability to rise to the task. Most touching of all were his tales of Andre the giant, who's heart seemed to have been even bigger than his frame.

I can't talk to you into reading this book. If you love the movie, you should grab on to it and enjoy. It will bring many smiles to your face. If you don't love the movie, well, that's just inconceivable.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment