Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Maria Duenas and some poetry by Todd Boss

I finally finished The Time In Between: A Novel by Maria Duenas. It's no fault of the novel that it took me so long to read it, the story was very interesting. I used to have much more down time at work to read and since I've switched schedules, I find I'm too busy to read as much as I'd like. But, I digress. I really enjoyed this story. It starts out with the main character being not much more that a simple errand girl in a sewing shop in Madrid. Through the course of the story, she grows through many adventures set against the backdrops of the Spanish Civil War and World War II. This young lady is I truly interesting heroine and I loved going along on the ride of her life.

I also recently read a collection of poetry, Pitch: Poems by Todd Boss. I saw a write up for this book in last week's Sunday paper and became curious, now here we are! Boss is a Minnesota poet, and as such, I found it quite easy to relate to his work. His poetry has an excellent rhythm to it, as the musical title implies, and is very accessible and not ostentatious. "That crick in your neck is the heck you've got from being somebody you're not" (Luckenback). The words he uses to describe music could just as applicably describe his own work, "everything man makes is an aspirant song sawn across / along a deeper grain within" (Instrument). Boss is doing a reading in MN next month and I'm looking forward to going.

No comments:

Post a Comment