Thursday, January 31, 2013

Stealing AthenaStealing Athena by Karen Essex

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I think this story would be improved if the different narrators had more distinctive voices. I realize the attempt to draw parallels between them but that does not make them the same person.
I must have been feeling pretty dense this week because it took me a while to put 2 & 2 together and realize this was about the real Elgin marbles. Sometimes it does help to read the flyleaf before jumping in to a book. :)
Although I'm very much a devotee of the period romance novel, I am grateful for stories like this that point out how difficult it used to be for women. Sometimes downright horrific. It's easy to romanticize the past but it's not very realistic.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment