Friday, August 7, 2015

Review: The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance in Afghanistan

The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance in Afghanistan The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance in Afghanistan by Jenny Nordberg
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another book to make me feel grateful for the simple freedoms I take for granted. I'm not sure which group of women this book made me feel sadder about, the women who are oppressed from the moment they are born until they die or the women who are allowed freedom as children by being disguised as boys but have that freedom taken away from them when they marry. It almost seems a cruelty to be given that glimpse of the freedom they should have only to have it snatched away and be basically turned into a slave. It's a fair point that's made, linking the way men treat women and the way they react to the rest of the world. Hopefully some domestic peace and equilibrium can be found and extended for more global progress towards harmony.

This review is in exchange for a free book received from bloggingforbooks.org.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment