Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Review: The Vegetarian

The Vegetarian The Vegetarian by Han Kang
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I try to read award winning books, I figure they win them for good reason, but I've had a long stretch of not liking any of them. Streak broken! This book was really interesting. I kind of wish the first section, told from the Vegetarian's point of view, had been longer but I decided it was more significant that you didn't understand her as well since no one else did. This book just had a lot going on. It was about domestic abuse, PTSD, impulse control, patriarchies, women's rights, mental health, and society's standards. Like I said, lot going on. You really can't take away any of these topics either or it would all fall apart. It's remarkable so much is crammed in to such a short story without leaving the reader clutching their aching brain. Wonderful. Just wonderful.

This honest review is in exchange for a free e-galley from Netgalley.com.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment