Sunday, July 24, 2016

Review: Lily and the Octopus

Lily and the Octopus Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really adored this book. It was sweet and whimsical and very real. What I should have done before reading it was read a plot summary so that I knew "octopus" was code for "brain tumor." I might have been better prepared for how much it made me cry. Part of that may have been due to the fact that my own dog died in February, and he also had a brain tumor. You think you're done grieving and then you read something like this and realize a part of you will always grieve your loss, it will just be done in different ways. I think this book would have touched my heart even if I couldn't relate to it so thoroughly. As it did, it was really powerful.

This review is in exchange for a free e-galley received from Netgalley.com.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment