Thursday, February 26, 2015

Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and DisturbancesTrigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


When I got this book I had an overwhelming desire to take time off work, build a sofa cushion and blanket fort, and just burrow in and read. Regular life crushed that dream but I still enjoyed the book. Gaiman's work usually runs a bit dark but you get a well-founded warning in the introduction that this collection of stories can be a bit disturbing. Something akin to world class campfire creepy tales or scary bedtime stories for adults. My favorite was The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury. It just really hit home for me and touched the nerve next to a fear of mine. It also reminded me of the more beautiful side of Fahrenheit 451, where people take responsibility for one book a piece to keep them alive. I love that idea. It would be such an interesting thing to see put into practice, but then you'd have hundreds of women ripping each other's tongues out to take Pride & Prejudice and no one would want poor old Gulag Archipelago. Oh well. It's a lovely notion but I'm glad it hasn't come to that.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment