Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Greatest Knight: The Remarkable Life of William Marshal, The Power Behind Five English Thrones by Thomas Asbridge

The Greatest Knight: The Remarkable Life of William Marshal, The Power Behind Five English ThronesThe Greatest Knight: The Remarkable Life of William Marshal, The Power Behind Five English Thrones by Thomas Asbridge

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This was a really interesting book. I'd never heard of William Marshal before and had only a passing knowledge of the time he lived in, so this was very educational. Most of what I've heard about King John and Richard the Lionheart has been garnered from Crusade tales and Robin Hood stories, so therefore of dubious authenticity. I have to be honest, I wasn't that excited to pick this book up. I thought it was going to be dense and a real chore but Asbridge is an enjoyable writer and the text was not difficult or dry. For non-fiction, this was a fun read. I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in history. It starts with the Viking invasion of France and ends with the reign of Henry III. For fans of the movie Kingdom of Heaven, there is a section of this book that deals with the facts of the story that movie circumnavigated.

This honest review is in exchange for a free copy received from the publisher.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment